Total Pageviews

An ode to retail

So last week i quit blockbuster, happily. For about three months i was working two jobs and it just about killed me. Hopefully, it will end the on and off relationship i've had with retail for about six years.

The business did a lot for me. It fueled an ever growing hatred that i have for humanity, kept a little (very little) money in my pocket, and it gave me some of my best stories. It still blows my mind how horrible people can act to complete strangers. I remember this one time, this woman came into the store and was just a complete bitch to me. And this was even one of those rare times i didn't deserve it. I finally snapped and asked her what her problem was. I'll never forget what she said to me.

"Look, i've had a really bad day. It has nothing to do with you, but i need someone to yell at and you can't do anything about it."

That just blew my mind. It was that point where i realized that retail workers are the tampons of society, and everyone is on the fucking rag.

So, i emplore you, cut those still in the bussiness some slack. Even if they're not terribly good at their job just talk crap about them after you leave. After all, that's the courtesy we give you every single time you pissed us off.

No comments:

Post a Comment