Total Pageviews

The horror genre: a lamentation

From as far back as i can remember, i've been a huge fan of horror films. It began before i was even five years old, after watching A Nightmare on Elm Street. My love for this series only grew as i got older. (anyone who's seen my apartment can tell you i've more than just a small affinity for the franchise) From there i moved on to other classics such as House, Monster Squad, Nightbreed, and the Evil dead trilogy. I couldn't get enough of the stuff, and over the years i've seen all types of the scary stuff. Hollywood blockbusters, b movies, monsters, slashers, genetic mutations, and hauntings. I've come to believe that i've seen it all.

The recent movies that have come out only strengthen this belief. I have seen everything. Most movie makers just throw a shit-load of gore in their flicks and call it horror. The slasher flick, to me, reached it's peak in the 80's, and now it's time to move on. Is anyone these days still scared by the lone killer kills off a group of teenagers one by one formula? Seriously, where is the originality nowadays? If not sticking to the aforementioned formula, then we just issue remake after remake, or sequel after sequel.

The one flick in the past couple of years that i really enjoyed was Saw. I thought it was brilliant. But now instead of working on something else fresh and new (which is what made saw stand out in the first place) they've settled for just churning em out year after year. Now, i'm not saying that the sequels are bad, just growing stale as the years go by. Film makers have just grown lazy.

Speaking of lazy film makers, can someone please tell me why Eli Roth still has a job in hollywood? The guy is a hack, and anyone that tells you different is an idiot. I saw cabin fever, and while it wasn't horrible, it wasn't even close to good, either. Then i was cooerced into seeing both Hostel films. I don't understand why this series has grown so popular. The youger kids out there don't seem to realize what makes a good horror flick. Tons of gore DOES NOT equal scary. It's actually starting to sicken me that we call these glorified snuff films entertainment. This goes for the saw films as well. I recently re-watched saw 3 and felt kinda disgusted with myself afterwards.

I think we need to pull away from the intense violence for a couple of years. Movies lately have just got for the cheap shock factor over story and substance. It starting to speak volumes when i can watch someone get their intestines pulled out and not even flinch. This kinda shit doesn't even effect me anymore, and that's more disturbing than anything else to me. Anyway, i guess i better wrap all this up, the girl i've got tied up in my bathroom is starting to come to, and i wanna try out my new blowtorch. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment