Total Pageviews

This is what I want: A proclamation

While in San Jose I attended a multi-media course for work. For 16 glorious hours I was able to learn about and experiment with things I truly have a passion for. My instructor had several years experience working at the BBC and he brought a fire to the course which kept everyone engaged.

Towards the middle of the second day he tasked us with filming an instructional video. The topic of my film was "How to use an elevator" and I was the only one who scouted the area first and already mapped out where to get the best shots. I teamed up with a 6 1/2 foot tall Swiss man and we became fast friends.

Let me paint the scene.

We're in the lobby of the Marriott around lunchtime, so the place is packed with busy executives and convention goers. I'm laying in the floor, shouting "Action" at my friend to walk down the hall way and "again" when someone walked into the back ground. Since filming elevators is tricky, we were constantly calling them, hopping in for a quick shot and then out to call another. Management finally came to ask us what hell we were doing. (we forgot to ask permission)

The whole experienced was rushed, chaotic and while it didn't turn out quite how I'd hoped, I loved every single fucking second of it.

My teacher played my video for the class and everyone loved it. He told me after that I had a raw talent for film and I needed to pursue it. That movie I made was less than a minute long, but it gave me more personal fulfillment that any other accomplishment in my entire professional career.

In the last week I've learned that I only want two things. I want to go to film school in California and I want her to come with me.

1 comment:

  1. i bet you're the only person in the world she'd want to follow.

    ReplyDelete