Total Pageviews

An appeal to my readers

I'm sitting in my apartment and I find myself wondering just what the hell I'm going to do. I have to find a job several states away and I have to do it fast enough to meet the massive amount of bills hitting me by the first of April. (I really hate that month)

But, here's the thing, while I can be a very hard worker, I'm not exactly qualified to do anything. You can't get a great job without first obtaining a piece of paper saying you're entitled to more money because you furthered your "education". I've tried going this route and we already know how that's working out right now.

"But Davlin", you say, "didn't you already have a relatively high paying job which required a degree, but they gave it to you anyway? Then you pissed away the golden opportunity you're now claiming you never get."

Yes, reader. You are correct and I must say I'm almost appalled with how comfortable you're getting with me to so readily point out my faults.

It's true, I did walk away from what most would deem a dream job. I did so because it wasn't my dream and I couldn't keep pretending it was. My heart simply wasn't in it anymore because it's already moved to Tennessee.

Now I'm sitting here and its absence is painful. (of my heart, not the job) Numbers flash in my mind, always followed by red blinking lights and alarms. I shake my head and the digits all fall to the floor with a crash that's almost audible.

When I think about the prospect of new jobs there's only one talent I want to be employed for and that's writing. It's the only thing which has ever mattered to me and is my motivation to get out of bed every morning. I've talked about it for almost a decade now and all I've ever heard from people is that it's not a real job. I'll never be able to survive off of it. To which I've always asked, "Why not?"

They have their points, of course. These last few weeks alone have shown me just how impulsive and idealistic I can be. But I've found strangers who get something out of the words I arrange and place for them on the internet. In fact, once they find my stuff they keep coming back. This leads me to believe that if I only had a way to reach a bigger audience there would be nothing to stop me from making this my career.

Unfortunately, this is something I can't do alone. I've spent months whoring myself out and, while it has helped a bit, only gets me so far. I've noticed over the last several years that if I can't do it on my own, it's not going to happen. I'll be honest, living this way has exhausted me. It was only when a select few started standing up to have my back that I saw what I was capable of.

And that's exactly what I begging you to do, in my own roundabout way. See, I'm going to start re-writing my book to incorporate some of the newer pieces and it's going to be perfect. By the time it's finished it would really improve my chances with an agent to have impressive numbers for this blog. This is where you come in.

Even if you and I have never spoken, I've shared a lot with you. This forms a very unique sort of bond and I really hope you understand what I'm talking about. If you do, then I have a favor I'd like to request.

I've asked this before and I'm going to keep doing so until it sticks. If you have ever been moved by anything I've written here, I just want you to tell people about the experience. Explain to them how the piece made you feel or think and then direct them to it. Then, if they find anything they relate to, have them pass it on. That's it. I've written enough here that there's literally something for everyone. Now, I just need your help getting it to them.

Every year we make instant celebrities out of people online with far less talent than me. Why can't it be my turn?

6 comments:

  1. It IS your turn!!
    You are incredible, and I will proclaim that to anyone who will listen.
    I'll tell you like I always say- Everything will always turn out OK, as long as you follow your heart, follow your dreams, and hang in there!!
    You're headed to big places! I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, you're amazing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete