Total Pageviews

This is the letter of recommendation I wrote for myself (Special thanks to Ana for all the help)

To whom it may concern,

My name is Benjamin Davlin Stewart and the life I've led will serve as the inspiration for some of the most original, passionate and honest films of my generation; if given the knowledge and experience awarded by the Brooks Institute. The 25 years I've been blessed enough to live have been filled with a darkness few would be able to shake and, in the spirit of staying honest, I almost didn't. It's something which I will fight until the day I die; my weapons of choice being writing, films and music. For over eight years I have used the power of the written word to exorcise my demons and used what I created to connect with strangers and sometimes help them heal their wounds.

I first discovered the magic you can only feel while watching a really good film while in the company of my father. My parents divorced when I was so young that I don't have a single memory of them together, but as a child I idolized my father. The two weekends a month I spent with him were the only thing I had to get me through the rest. We'd stay up late and watch movies, ones often too advanced for me. The escapism it offered was the only respite from my life away from the screen. On a personal note: the first movie I remember watching was "A Nightmare on Elm Street" and it remains my favorite to this day.

In fact, all my formative years were spent watching the lives of strangers behind a camera. This is also the way I view the world around me.

Dad gave me a video camera when I was seventeen and I immediately started planning my first independent horror movie. I didn't have a script so much as a vague story idea and my crew consisted of increasingly disinterested teenagers. Then, someone broke out a skateboard and the whole thing went to hell. Without the knowledge or resources to tackle such a monumental project I sat the camera down and never picked it up with serious intentions again.

I did, however, look into going to a film school here in Dallas a few years ago, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. The "film" section of the tour lasted 20 minutes and was laughable for the price they were asking for. I left when they didn't offer financial aid and didn't consider it for almost four years later.

In the meantime I went through the worst year of my life and during a stay in the mental hospital decided it was time to re-evaluate my priorities. When I was released I decided to find my voice and use it to help others find their own. It started out as a blog, but soon grew into a website with which I began experimenting with audio and video. I taught myself the basics of editing and created a few decent experimental films.

Almost three months after the launch of my site my job sent me to San Jose, California in order to attend a multimedia certification program taught by Jonathan Halls, bringing several years experience with BBC for us to draw from.

Towards the middle of the second day he tasked us with filming an instructional video. The topic of my film was "How to use an elevator".
I was the only one who scouted the area beforehand and already mapped out where to get the best shots. I teamed up with another classmate and we set out to get our footage.

Let me paint the scene.

We're in the lobby of the Marriott around lunchtime and the place is packed with busy executives and convention goers. I'm laying in the floor, shouting "Action" at my friend to walk down the hallway and “again" when someone walked into the back ground. Since filming elevators is tricky, we were constantly calling them, hopping in for a quick shot and then out to call another. Management finally came to ask us what hell we were doing. (we forgot to ask permission)

The whole experienced was rushed, chaotic and while it didn't turn out quite how I'd hoped, I loved every single second of it.

Jonathan played my video for the class and everyone loved it. He told me after that I had a raw talent for film and it was one I needed to pursue. The movie I made was less than a minute long, but it gave me more personal fulfillment that any other accomplishment in my entire professional career.

While in California I found the two things in this world I want, one of which was going to film school. When I landed in Dallas the next day there was an ice storm and I was stuck in my apartment for the next several days. Trying to make the best of my situation, I began looking into and requesting information from various institutions. An hour after I put one into Brooks Institute I received a call from a Mr. Bobby Speer.

While speaking to him I became impressed with the facilities and resources your school had to offer. Bobby took the time to talk to me about my life and commented on the amount of passion I exuded. As we took the virtual tour of the campus my head was filled with ideas for stories I wanted to tell and the different kind of angles I could best use to convey them.

I will be the perfect student for your institution because I guarantee no one wants this more. I realize there will be sacrifices to reach my dream and not only am I willing to make them, but I'm also looking forward to all of the hard work it will take to make my dreams a reality.

While my passion for film began while I was very young, I realize now I have the stories, drive and passion to not only graduate, but to also accomplish truly amazing things. All I'm asking for is the chance to show the world what I can do.

Thank you for your time,
Benjamin Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment