Total Pageviews

"Learning how to smile"

I feel different now. It's almost like the last piece of the puzzle has slid into place. When I walk, there's this swagger to it and my head is held high. The smiles gracing my face lately are no longer forced and are often there without me realizing. When I sit down to write, the words come easier and are about different topics than heartache and misery. Oh, I still write them and I always will, but they're nowhere near as prevalent. There have been several other good things, too.

I drove my big sister home from work today in my new car. Every time she looked at me she beamed with pride. Before I dropped her off she told me, "it's so nice I have a brother I can count on!" Long story, not mine to tell, but it was then my turn to beam.

I'm getting some really exciting projects at work, even begun taking business trips. (Lafayette next week, maybe California at the end of the month) I've got an office and a vast assortment of other blessings. Sometimes when I'm at my desk it all hits me and I can't believe how much has changed in the (almost) four years I've been there. I mean, this is where it all happened.

I went over to my friend, Alex's, house a little while ago. I was talking to him and his cousin about hip-hop. (this made me ecstatic because I was able to keep up) Eventually he mentioned to his cousin that I was a writer and I handed him a card. They asked me questions about the site and I told them only about its features and the mission statement. Alex said he wanted to get back into music and I told him to go for it in a very heartfelt speech I wish I could remember. Before I left his cousin asked me what kind of writing I do and I performed "Bi-polar" for him. It doesn't matter how many people are in the audience, as long as you have one person feeling what you're saying, then you had a good show.

I understand there's a lot of bad in the world, God knows I've done my fair share of focusing on it, but I've learned that in order for your mind to properly function you need to learn to see the good as well. So, what about you? What's made you smile recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment