Total Pageviews

Feel. Release. Heal.

I'll be the first to admit my website is not exactly user friendly. You can't access it from your iphone, everything seems random, it's dark and after awhile it kind of messes with your head. None of this is by accident. I've spent over 200 hours meticulously crafting each page. Every single pixel tells a story.

See, I've been writing for over 8 years now and it's the only thing I've ever been truly passionate about. It's what keeps my mind racing at four in the morning, making sleep impossible. I wanted to share my work with the world, but nothing I was trying seemed to work.

That's when I remembered,

I bought a subscription to Wix over a year ago, created a mock up and then quit. The image on the home page, however, haunted me. In its center was a broken TV screen playing static. It was time to give it a fair shot.

Look over to your right at the "archives" menu and find Sept and Oct of last year. The reason the number of posts were so low then was because I was in a frenzy. The whole process was agonizing, cleansing, and when it was finished I had never felt more accomplished.

Most websites, despite their entertainment or production levels, are pretty much the same. I wanted to do something different. I wanted something that not only stood out enough to catch people's interest for at least five minutes, but would also have the substance to keep them coming back.

First, I made it dark to set the mood. The TV plays a symbolic role, but it's also there for functionality. We're more willing to stare at a TV than a book nowadays, this helps people focus on what I want them to see. The stuff in the margins is to catch your eye, should it happen to wander.

Second, I have no plans for it to be iphone compatible, because that's why I have this here blog. With the site, I don't want you to be distracted. You're supposed to take your time and wear headphones. I want you to allow yourself to be totally immersed in what you are reading/hearing/watching. Trust me, it makes it so much better.

Third, The order of the menu buttons is crucial. In order to get the full effect, you should go through them from top to bottom. Here's a brief description of each, cos I'm feeling wordy.

"Intro"-I had an original intro video, but it was a little long. (found on "F.R.H. TV" page) Now, there's an artistic shot of the business card I've been leaving places. The words revolving it tell many stories.

"Home"-This is where you can go to find out what's been recently added to the 'This just in' section on the right hand side. Also a message from me, Davlin, to you, you.

"Script"-Ok, this page is massive and may take several minutes to load up. This is because it contains an entire book, which is essentially the "best of" from my eight years of writing. The website is its words brought to life. The more you read of it, the more you'll notice its nuances hidden in everything you see. For optimal effect; listen along with, or read the read lyrics to every song as it's mentioned. They are just as crucial to my story as the pieces I have written. Oh, the pictures contain secrets and messages, too.

"Ch. 3 F. R. H. TV"-This page features videos of my performances, interviews, user submissions and some nonsense.

"Audile"-This is where I house MP3s of my spoken word. Headphones are essential, because, since I'm still new at this, the volume isn't as high as it should be. There's also a few pieces here that are not found in "Script".

"Find Your Voice"-This is the comments page. Speaking your mind is always encouraged.

"Sister Stations"-Links to my blog, youtube channel, facebook page and, for some reason, myspace.

Fourth, I wanted to let people who didn't want to go through all of that bullshit just because they found a business card a place where they could still get on for a few minutes, enjoy and go about their day.

The last thing I wanted is the most important, though. I know what it's like to feel alone, depressed and like things will never get better. I don't think anyone should have to go through that, but if they do it shouldn't be by themselves.
I created the site to show others how cathartic an outlet writing can be. I would love to do another page, similar to "Script", based on user submissions.

I guess the whole point of this is I want to help people, but the only thing I have to offer is words...

bled out onto a page.

No comments:

Post a Comment