Total Pageviews

Davlin's guide to etiquette: the car

One of my favorite past times is going for a long, late night drive with lots of loud music and no destination in mind.

The night sky, open road and music playing so loud I can feel it; all of these elements combined create the closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience. It brings me a sense of peace I can't find anywhere else.

It's sacred to me.

For the most part, during these outings I like to be alone. This is mostly because I haven't met many people who know how to shut the fuck up and enjoy the ride. They have to fill every single silence with banal chatter, when all I want to do is listen to the song on the radio. I try to focus on the lyrics, but they are no match for the vocalization of every single fucking thought running through my companion's head.

Personally, I think everyone could benefit from only speaking when they have something meaningful to say. At least, as far as being in the car is concerned.

Here are some things I do not want to discuss when we are trapped together inside a metal coffin driven at high speeds by someone trying to make eye contact with me.

1. Your writing
2. Arguments of any kind (the drive is meant to calm you down so you don't say anything you might regret during an extremely volatile situation)
3. Work stories. They are only interesting to those you work with. Trust me, I've got some awesome work stories and nobody gives a shit.
4. Me needing to go back to therapy (really wish that hasn't happened enough to be #4)
5. TV shows. In fact, I don't ever want to spend more than five minutes of any conversation on TV. It makes me sad.

Here are the only topics that are deemed appropriate (by me) while we are in a vehicle together.

1. My writing
2. Family (only if heading to/coming away from a family event)
3. The song on the radio (or music in general)
4. Sex stories
5. Deep conversations on life shattering events that helped shaped who we've become/crazy stories from our past

Think about it. We spend a vast amount of time with those in our personal lives in vehicles. This is why I take the way that time is spent so seriously.

Case in point:
I dated Lisa back when I was 19. The beginning of the relationship was idyllic, though it did eventually rot as these things tend to do. But the memories I continue to treasure the most are the drives we used to take together.

We'd hold hands in silence, just happy to be alone together. She'd let me play my favorite bands for her, eventually singing along to the songs, herself. The windows would be down, letting the warm summer breeze kiss our faces. If she was driving, I would lay my head against the door, close my eyes and smile.

Our destination was usually half price books where we'd go for cherry cokes almost twice a week. Beverages in tow, we'd sit at one of the tables outside and get lost in conversations. Our fingers interlocking. Stretching to kiss across the table. Tongues laced with cherry syrup and tobacco. Her breath growing faintly...

*Cough cough* Ahem. Whoa. Sorry about that.

All I'm trying to say is we can still have fun when we leave the car, just let me enjoy the ride until we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment