Total Pageviews

Everything Has A Price

On my lunch break I got a call from my cousin asking me to pick her up from work. All I wanted to do was go straight home, but I told her I'd help her out. On the way there, the buildings grew more and more dilapidated. Welcome to South Dallas, a place a skinny white boy like myself shouldn't be traveling alone.

I called her when I got there and asked if I could come inside because I really had to pee. I opened the car door, climbed out and the second it shut behind me I realized the keys were still in the ignition. Perfect. This happens to me. A lot. Why don't I get a spare key you ask? I don't know and you're really starting to sound like my father.

There's a church next to her office, so I went in there to see if they had anything that could help me out. The inside was rundown with a few pews in front of an elevated stage, on which rested a drum set, guitars and other equipment. It looked like they had turned one of the old music clubs in Deep Ellum into a place of worship. Badass. An old biker guy wearing a bandanna ended up finding a hanger and told me if I couldn't get it to come back for help. I worked with the hanger for 15 minutes before I realized I had no idea what I was doing and went back for assistance.

He grabbed a hammer and two wooden wedges and we went back to my car.

"I learned this trick when I worked for a used car dealership." He told me.

"Hey, I'm not judging you. I just hope this works."

He wedged the door open and began trying to use the hanger to catch the lock. I told the biker that I really appreciated the help he was giving me and he told me to thank Jesus, because he was just the messenger. Ok...um...thanks Jesus.

I was only wearing a T-shirt and my coat stared at me from the back seat. My teeth started to chatter and my cousin told me she was going to get me her extra sweater. While she was gone the biker went back to find something stronger. It was at this point that another guy rode up on a bike.

"Lock your keys in your car." Must resist urge...to make...sarcastic comment.

"Yeah." Whew...almost didn't make it.

"I can help you out."

"Alright. Thanks."

"So I have permission to touch your car."

"Yeah, I'm not using it at the moment."

"I'm just making sure. I'm no car thief."

"Right on."

He pulled out a pair of pliers from his pocket, unscrewed my antenea and made the end into a curve. At this point my cousin comes back with the sweater. So now I'm a skinny white boy in south Dallas in a white lace sweater. I ask her if she has the pumps to match it and the guy laughs. I was really touched that these guys went out of their way to help a stranger. It's so rare in life that we take the time to do a selfless act for our fellow man. After about ten minutes, he's got the door open. I thank him profusely.

"You know, I just saved you a fortune." Of course, here it comes. "I'm trying to get something to eat and I'd really like your help." You son of a bitch.

I explain to him that I've only got $20 to last until my next payday. This was the truth. I didn't have any money that I could spare.

"That's ok, I'll take ten."

"It's not broken."

"I'll go down there to the store with you." He wasn't backing down.

"I don't want to go down there."

"You don't get. I'm gonna go down there with you." Fuck me. I'm gonna get stabbed tonight.

"Hold on."

I went inside my cousin's work but no one had change. I've just started enjoying my life, I don't want it to end. I went back to the church and they helped me out again. When I returned to the guy the exchange went like this:

"Look, man. This 20 is all I have to my name. That's it until next week. I can't give you ten, that's half of what I'm worth. I'll give you five."

"You're hurting me, man."

"And you're hurting me. I appreciate what you've done for me, but now I can't eat tonight. So there you go."

He stared at me for a long time. I grew uncomfortable.

"You're really hurting me man. I can't believe you're not gonna give me ten."

"You get five. Take it or don't." You aggressive bastard.

Finally, he sighed and took it before riding off in the sunset. I was pissed. I just don't know why something has to always be expected, you know? Why do nice things always have to have a catch? There's probably a lesson in there somewhere. Good one, Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story. Sorry it didn't turn out with a nice little ending ditty, but so be it. Made me laugh, a good hearty laugh... =)

    ReplyDelete