Total Pageviews

Chapter 3: Commination (Uriel)

Everything in the room is covered in blood. There are three bodies: one civilian and two cops. They didn't even have a chance. The woman was with child, but Belith had torn the baby from her womb. One officer is lying on his back, his throat gone. The other is curled in the fetal position. Wait a second...there's a whimper that's barely audible. He's still alive and, from the sound of it, bordering on hysteria. I rush over to his side to assess the damage.

"Officer, can you hear me?" He doesn't even acknowledge my presence.

"I need to know if you're ok." His eyes dart all over the room before they finally meet mine. His mouth gapes and his eyes now go wide.

"You're...you're an angel, aren't you?" He asks.

This just got interesting.

"What are you talking about?" I'm tying to do my best to hide the shock.

"You have wings. I can see them. They shine." His face contorts with sadness. "Does this mean I'm dead? Am I in heaven?"

"No, you're still alive. Just take it easy. You're safe, now."

He nods before he passes out again. This hasn't happened in over a thousand years and doesn't bode well with me. It's supposed to be the other way around, they're not supposed to see through us. This really isn't good, now we've gotta take him with us.

.......................

"I forgot how fast this guy was." Gabriel says to himself.

Belith is about fifty yards in front of him, but he's closing the gap more and more with each passing second. Michael is nowhere to be found. He hates to try and attack his opponent alone, but at the same time he can't let him get away. They've come too far to let him get away now.

Gabriel flaps his wings harder and harder as Belith leaps from trees to houses. He can here the demon's laughter and taunts, which only adds to his determination. 40 feet. 30. 20. 10. Almost there.

Gabe brings his sword over his head to lay the first strike. Without warning, Belith turns around in mid air and grabs him by the face. With his free hand he grabs the angel's right wing and snaps the bone, sending them both to the street below. Gabriel screams in pain as his opponent rolls them over and uses him to break their fall.

Still clutching his face, Belith slams his head over and over into the concrete. The cement starts to crack from the impacts and Gabriel comes dangerously close to passing out.

"Don't fade out on me yet, boy. I want you to stay awake while I bust your Goddamn head open!" Belith screams.

Gabe winces. Those words hurt more than the physical injuries. His skull cracks loudly and the demon's enthusiasm increases. His sinuses are starting to fill with blood.

It happened so fast he could barely register the movement. All he knew is that the demon was no longer on top of him. He looks to his left to see him lying on the ground with Michael walking towards him.

"Took you long enough!" He yells at his partner.

"You're the one that always runs into battle half-cocked. Now, am I gonna have to do this by myself? Get up and fight!"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. My brain's just leaking out of my skull, but I'm fine, thanks for asking." Gabe says as he gets up, retrieves his sword and goes to stand next to Michael.

Belith is laughing as he stands up to face them. "Gabriel and Michael...been a long time." He tilts his head until his neck cracks. "How's the pops? Still sitting in his ivory tower with that self righteous stick up his ass?"

"Don't." Is all Michael can spit out.

"What? Strike a nerve?" The demon asks with a smile. He then claps his hands together. "Well, as fun as sitting here fighting you two sounds, I've should get going. There are big plans that I really must attend to." And then he's just gone.

"Huh...what do you think he met by that?" Gabriel asks his friend.

"Who the hell knows. Come on. We better go back." Michael says right before flying back in the direction they just came from.

"Yeah, I just hope Uriel is having a better night than we are."

No comments:

Post a Comment